Although it technically still is summer, here in Chicago the weather’s got a definite fall feel to it. In order to prepare myself mentally for the brutal experience that is winter in the Windy City, every year I remind myself why I like it, besides that it’s not Tucson. So, here’s a list of my favorite things about winter. Except for the first one, they are in no particular order.
- BLANKETS!!! (Absolute best part of winter, hands down)
- Watching snow fall
- Drinking lots of hot beverages, some of them with alcohol
- Football instead of baseball
- Pumpkin scented and flavored things (although this is more of a fall thing)
- Thanksgiving (fall again, but best holiday ever)
- Taking painfully hot showers (thankfully I can this year–yay new apartment!)
- No bugs
- The prospect of Snow Days
- Cooking hot things
- Free heat from the radiators in my apartment
- Watching the Grinch
Obviously this isn’t an exhaustive list, but it’s got all of my favorites. Am I missing something? Let me know. I know a lot of people prefer not to think about the winter this early in the season, but we can’t get around the fact that it’s coming, and it’s better to be prepared for it and excited to welcome all your favorite things back (blankets) than to be pissed off that you slipped on some ice while walking to work.